Designer wanted: Western pieces for Chinese chess
Chinese chess is a lot easer to get into for non-Chinese people if a horse looks like ♞/♘ rather than 馬/傌, for the first few games. Publicly available piece set graphics seem to all have one or more of the following shortcomings:
- Raster but vector images
- Unclear or troublesome licensing
- Poor aesthetics (, , , , , )
- Lack of elephant, cannon/catapult, advisor pieces
Simplified, what I am looking for is
- a sexy replacement to the western pieces shown at Wikipedia,
- in true SVG format,
- suitable for black-and-white print.
The resulting graphics will be published with CC0 Public Domain Dedication licensing (or Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC-BY) if you prefer) for use to everyone. Particular use cases are use with xiangqi- setup, XBoard/WinBoard, Wikipedia, future books (by others) and stickers for Chinese chess hardware.
In more detail
- Seven pieces per party: chariot/rook, horse, elephant, advisor, king, cannon/catapult, pawn/soldier
- Use black "ink" only: Black pieces should be all black with parts cut out, "white"/"red" pieces should be black outlines with body cut out (example here)
- No two pieces should be hard to distinguish, in particular not:
- Pawns/soldiers, advisors and king
- Elephants and horses
- Cannons and chariots
- Advisors should not look similar to queens in western chess
- Flat 2D is fine. If some pieces imitate 3D, all of them should (so no flat and pseudo 3D in the same set, please)
- Needs to work at small sizes. So either two sets for small and regular display or one set that works at any size.
- Pieces should not have a circle for a background (unlike this)
- Not too arty, not too fancy, specific rather than abstract. Clean and simple but appealing, please.
- Chinese culture elements welcome, if you know how to use them well.
Are you interested in working on this project? Please get in touch!