Nach mehreren Wochen downtime — primär durch mich verschuldet — ist rsync1.de.gentoo.org nun wieder online.
Wie vorher wird das komplette Repository aus einer RAM disk ausgeliefert, daher ist der Mirror relativ flott.
# rsync --list-only rsync://rsync1.de.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage/ drwxr-xr-x 3,480 2014/11/16 16:01:19 . -rw-r--r-- 121 2014/01/01 01:31:01 header.txt -rw-r--r-- 3,658 2014/08/18 21:01:02 skel.ChangeLog -rw-r--r-- 8,119 2014/08/30 12:01:02 skel.ebuild -rw-r--r-- 1,231 2014/08/18 21:01:02 skel.metadata.xml drwxr-xr-x 860 2014/11/16 16:01:02 app-accessibility drwxr-xr-x 4,800 2014/11/16 16:01:03 app-admin drwxr-xr-x 100 2014/11/16 16:01:03 app-antivirus [..] drwxr-xr-x 1,240 2014/11/16 16:01:21 x11-wm drwxr-xr-x 340 2014/11/16 16:01:21 xfce-base drwxr-xr-x 1,340 2014/11/16 16:01:21 xfce-extra
Die Hardware darunter ist gesponsort von Manitu.
I would like to introduce you to Gambit, a rather young Qt-based chess UI with excellent usability and its very own engine.
emerge -av games-board/gambit
change.org: CETA und TTIP stoppen! (An: Bundesverfassungsgericht)
I ran into this documentary today…
For my blog, their tool reported lack of favicon.ico which I now took the occasion to fix.
Two types of respect mixed up by Linus Torvalds 2014-10-07 Comments Off
I recently ran into the Q&A with Linus Torvalds @ Debconf 2014 video.
During the session, Torvalds is being criticized for lack of respect and replies that ~”respect is to be earned”. Technically, he confuses respect as in admiration with respect as in dignity. Simplified, he is saying that human dignity does not matter to him. Linus, I’m fairly disappointed.
I noticed that I couldn’t kill a process in htop today, F9 did not seem to be working, actualy most of the F-keys did not.
The reason turnout out to be that Guake 0.5.0 takes over keys F1 to F10 for direct access to tabs 1 to 10.
That may work for most terminal applications, but for htop it’s a killer.
So how can I prevent Guake from taking F9 over?
The preferences dialog allows me to assign a different key, but not no key. Really? There is no context menu, backspace and delete didn’t help. For now I assume it’s not possible.
So I fire up the gconf-editor, menu > Edit > Find… > “guake” — there it is. However, upon “Edit key…” gconf-editor says to me:
Currently pairs and schemas can’t be edited. This will be changed in a later version.
In the end what did work was to run
gconftool-2 --set /schemas/apps/guake/keybindings/local/switch_tab9 \ --type string ''
and to restart Guake.
I just opened a bug for this. If you like, you can follow it at https://github.com/Guake/guake/issues/376 .
Fwd: Wilkinson covers OneRepublic’s Counting Stars in the BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge 2014-09-25 Comments Off
Chinese chess is a lot easer to get into for non-Chinese people if a horse looks like ♞/♘ rather than 馬/傌, for the first few games. Publicly available piece set graphics seem to all have one or more of the following shortcomings:
- Raster but vector images
- Unclear or troublesome licensing
- Poor aesthetics (, , , , , )
- Lack of elephant, cannon/catapult, advisor pieces
Simplified, what I am looking for is
- a sexy replacement to the western pieces shown at Wikipedia,
- in true SVG format,
- suitable for black-and-white print.
In more detail
- Seven pieces per party: Chariot/rook, horse, elephant, advisor, king, cannon/catapult, pawn
- Use black “ink” only: Black pieces should be all black with parts cut out, “white”/”red” pieces should be black outlines with body cut out (example here)
- No two pieces should be hard to distinguish, in particular not:
- Pawns, advisors and king
- Elephants and horses
- Cannons and chariots
- Advisors should not look similar to queens in western chess
- Flat 2D is fine. If some pieces imitate 3D, all of them should (so no flat and pseudo 3D in the same set)
- Needs to work at small sizes. So either two sets for small and regular display or one set that works at any size.
- Pieces should not have a circle for a background (unlike this)
- Not too arty, not too fancy, specific rather than abstract. Clean and simple but appealing, please.
- Chinese culture elements welcome, if you know how to use them well.
Are you interested in working on this project? Please get in touch!